*Warning this post contains way to much information. If your squeamish I’d skip it*
After my second IUI cycle I was prescribed 200mg of progesterone taken rectally. Rectal administration itself was pretty daunting. I was advised to insert it at least 30mins before a bowel movement.
Here’s some stuff I wish I’d know about progesterone when I started taking it.
- It gives you very strong pregnancy symptoms even when your not pregnant
- Rectal administration is awkward and not fun at all but unlike vaginal insertion you don’t have to lay down for half hour after and you don’t get any leakage which I’ve been told is horrible I would prefer in the long run. It can also cause yeast infections and is very irritating to the vaginal mucosa.
- It gave me terrible gas which gave me really bad cramps.
- You cant fart after you’ve taken it because if you relax your sphincter the melted wax will leak out.
- It makes your poop marbled because the wax stays behind after the hormone is absorbed.
- It can delay your period. AF was due 2 days before I stopped and it took 48hrs after last dose for it to arrive. This was the one I wish I had been told by my nurses because I was so happy when I didn’t get my period even though it was fake.
- It can irritate your back passage after a while but it wasn’t too uncomfortable and not as bad as vaginal insertion.
- They are very expensive. I paid $180 for 15 days worth. (2x day)
Some helpful tips
- I always lubricated my suppository before insertion with a water based lube. This is what I have always done for patients so I did the same for myself. I would wash my hands, put a few square of toilet paper on my bathroom sink, open the foil wrapper and put the little bullet on the paper, put a drop of lube on the paper and just rub the tip in the lube. I found insertion easy and I didn’t have to push it very far in, just the tip of my finger and the sphincter muscle would do the rest of the work for me.
- If you insert laying down, lie on your left side keeping your left leg straight. Bend your right knee and reach over your leg to insert. see pic.
- I started inserting lying down but I got sick of kicking my husband out of the room so I could keep this part of our marriage sacred. You cant un-see this once you have seen it. I ended up standing in the bathroom with one foot up on a little stool, kept some of the mystery.
Thats all I can think about for now but if anyone has any questions just let me know 🙂